Monday, January 31, 2011

Weekend Makeover & The Perfect Gray

Looking for a great gray?

We did a little fixin' up of our guest bathroom last weekend.  When we first moved in I painted it this dark brown color and I was really getting tired of it.  It looked nice with white accents, but now that we have kids, our towels and washcloths are not all white!  With no natural light, it was also really dark.   Here are some before pictures:


Love that cross, but it is clearly too small for this big wall!  And our towel rod is clearly too small for properly drying more than one towel...

Love that star, but its not working for me there.  I don't have a picture of the old light fixture but it was one of those Hollywood Ms. Piggy fixtures... you know what I mean- with the light bulbs sticking straight out?

We decided to paint the bathroom the same color thats in the rest of our house- its called Silver Dollar and its by Olympic Paints.  I love that brand because its low-odor and low-VOC which means no nasty/unhealthy paint fumes!  When we repainted our living room and dining room this shade over a year ago, we agonized over the decision and probably bought about 10 little sample cans and tried them out all over the rooms.  It was a pain at the time, but I'm SO glad we took our time to sample the colors- they all look so different in different rooms and with different lighting!  This color is a gray tone with golden or brown undertones.  Its not a stark gray.  Its definitely still a cool color, but the golden undertones warm it up a bit... 





 For some cheap and fun art, I made these little prints with some old frames I had and the Bag o' Buttons from Hobby Lobby!  I decoupaged the buttons to the frames and then used rub-on letters on scrapbook paper for the print itself.  I guess I could have actually printed them from my computer, but I like the way these turned out...


We replaced the towel ring, toilet paper holder, and light fixture with new brushed nickel fixtures.

The little cabinet over the toilet has brought in some much needed storage for us and was only $55 at Wal-Mart!  I love the beadboard look, it adds a little cottage charm.



Since the old towel rod wasn't cutting it, I had a vision for this row of hooks and Paul made my dream a reality!  We bought a thin board and attached a chunky moulding to the top and a smaller one to the bottom.  Then he primed and painted it (high gloss so it would stand up in the bathroom), screwed on the hooks, and screwed the whole thing directly into the wall...

I wish I had pictures of the process for you- it really was a pretty simple project.  I love how custom it is and the charm it brings to this little bathroom.

  If you are on the fence about painting something or choosing a color- may this be the little bit of inspiration you need to just go for it!  Painting the entire bathroom took only about 45 minutes and I was able to get it all done in two days while my kids napped (primed one day, painted the next).

Looking for the perfect gray?  Here are the links to the other rooms in my house painted with Olympic's Silver Dollar:




Happy Painting! 

post signature

25 comments:

Teri Dufilho said...

well, how creative!......the towel rack takes the cake and looks amazing!.....and lovin' those fun button frames!.....you and robin blow me away with your creativity!! (and YIES, a perfect gray!)

Teri Dufilho said...

*YES*

rdufilho said...

Beautiful! I do love what paint does to a room.

I don't think I'm a fan of those little sample jars, though. I think the risk is kinda fun...

Jana said...

I LOVE it!! We have a warmer tan like color but next time I am definitely going with gray or greige. Now I have yet another color to add to the list of ones to sample!

susan said...

I love the towel rack and the cool grey! You guys are a great team! Inspires me to get going on painting our bedroom that I've been putting off. Thanks for sharing!

meganlagoy.blogspot.com said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I actually AM looking for the perfect gray...for my TV room! I will definitely try to find that one. THANKS! I'm assuming since you advertised it, you don't mind copycats...plus my house is so far away and there's only 1 or 2 families that will EVER see both our rooms painted (gasp) the same color! Haha! Okay, I know you don't mind. I'm going to look for it!

Bethany said...

Yeah, go for it Megan!!! That's definitely why I shared- so others could find a color they might like too. :) But sample it before you paint it- you might hate it- haha!!! And I would hate for you to have bought a whole gallon and put it on the walls and then hate it (me, haha). :)

Judith said...

I love this Bethany! Gray is one of my favorite colors to paint with, and we have several different shades going in my house, but I want something different for my living room (it's painted a tan/sand color now). We actually tried 3 or 4 different gray paints the week of Thanksgiving (I was totally nesting and overdue with Matthew) but didn't like any of them so we painted back. I may have to try this one! Thanks for sharing! :)

Decorating the Ville said...

I'm looking for a good gray! I thought I had settled on Amazing Gray by SW, but I might have to get a sample of this one too! Thanks for sharing.

Melissa @ It's Fancy Schmancy said...

Your gray looks great. I'm thinking of adding it to my bathroom as well. It needs an update badly. My favorite though is your towel hanger. It's exactly what I have been thinking of doing. It's nice to see it worked!

sallie kate said...

Cute cute!! Love the paint color...looks like the twin sister paint to our "everywhere" color, Agreeable Gray by Sherwin Williams. It's a refreshing taupe. And makes you feel downright agreeable ;)

Regan said...

I love this color Bethany! One of my favorite color combos right now is grey/white/yellow. I'm on the hunt for the perfect yellow scarf to wear with my grey sweater.

Unknown said...

Great job Bethany - love it - looks so fresh, clean, welcoming, etc. will share with my students - we discussing color this week - Great ideas they can use themselves.

Unknown said...

Wow! I love this room!! The towel rack and button art are fantastic! You guys are just a perfect creative team!!

Unknown said...

It looks great! You are so creative. This is the perfect blog. It showcases both you and Paul's talents.

Rachel said...

I love the finished product! It looks great. You should live closer and come help me redo some of my rooms!

thestephensfam said...

Love that Grey! There are so many shades you never can tell what is going to look good. Thanks for the recommendation! Grey is such a classy color. I'd love to use it on our next child's nursery, whenever that may be.

JENN KINNEY PHOTOGRAPHY said...

I came across your blog at the perfect time as I was looking for a color for our master bedroom. I just walked into Lowes, asked for a gallon of Silver Dollar eggshell without even seeing the sample card! And bingo, it's done and perfect. thank you!!!!!

kimosmom said...

I normally don't post comments, but had to make an exception and tell you what happened...

About 2 years ago I painted a spare bedroom grey. After the paint dried, I thought it kind of looked like it had a lavender undertone. I tried & tried to like it, but determined that I needed to find another shade of grey.

So for the past 6 months I've been painting samples of grey all over the walls...there were about 5 different 2x2 samples on the wall.

Then I find The Nester's blog and see the link to your post about the "Perfect Grey". After work that day, I went to Lowes and got a sample of Silver Dollar. I excitedly went home and painted a swatch on the wall...and LOVED it! Since I had the sample open and the paint was already dirty, I decided to go ahead and trim out the window and around all the outlets and painted over all but one of the other sample colors. The next morning (it was already dark when I had finished) I went to see how the color dried...I couldn't tell the old color from the new color!!!

I went to the garage and dug through all my paint cans...at the bottom of the 15 cans of paint, I found the paint can for the color I hadn't liked...it was SILVER DOLLAR!!!

Now, I think I'm seeing a taupe undertone...I'm leaving it because I liked it in your pics and have come to the conclusion that maybe grey isn't for me! ;)

Bethany said...

Thank you all so much for your comments!!

@Jenn, I can't believe you just did it without sampling but I'm SO glad you like the color!! :) I would have felt bad if you did that and then hated it, haha. We love it too!

@kimosmom - thanks for sharing your story, that is too funny, we both got a kick out of it, haha! Sorry its not your fav, but I'm relieved that you didn't paint the entire room and just did the trim! :)

A Perfect Gray said...

love that wall color!

KellyH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KellyH said...

Hello I came over from Favorite Paint Colors. I love this color and those Frames with the buttons are so cute. I may have to copy!

Blogger said...

With BullionVault you may obtain physical gold & silver bars at current spot exchange rates.

Open your free account now and get 4 grams of free silver as a sign-up bonus.

Peter short said...

Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous post. Thanks for sharing information about it. I really like that. Thanks so lot for your convene.
боядисване с латекс софия