Monday, September 29, 2008

Book It!

Does anyone else remember the purple "book-it" buttons back in the early 90's? You could earn a free personal pan pizza at Pizza Hut for filling up your button with stickers proving you'd read a certain number of books. I was queen of the book-it button. I loved to read. I could soak up a book for hours at a time. My favorites were the "Ramona" books- by Beverly Cleary. Anybody else out there with me on that? They were the best.

Well, since college textbooks and then graduate textbooks and eventually an 8-4 job thing got in the way of my love for reading, I haven't quite been the same. But guess what. I'm back, people. Bring on the book-it button and the personal pan pizza. I'm reading tons of books, at least one whole book every night, and just today I read two before nap time. And yesterday was a record for me... I read all these books in one day:

Yep, gotta love kids books! Remember yesterday I said I got a great deal on all those kids books at the bookstore? Well the reason is because I took TONS of old CDs and books I had lying around my house and traded them in for store credit at Hastings. I got $75.00! (which I was really surprised at- these were old Shania, Mariah, and Celine CDs- who knew?) So Charlie got himself some new (and some hand-me-down) books and I got myself one too- and only spent half of our money. Just hoping to pass along a little of my own love for reading, so we're starting early! Can you tell which one is his favorite?

6 comments:

Ashley McWhorter said...

Totally remember those! I loved Babysitters Club.

I saw a Hermie book in your stack. My girls love Hermie. We have all of the DVD's.

Have fun reading! :)

Rachel said...

Sounds like a great deal on books! I wish I had more time and more energy to read. I love it but my job just drains me.

And as far as "book it" goes, I'll have you know that it is still up and running in our schools! I teach 4th grade in VA and my kids still participate in it!

Bush Family said...

I loved Ramona too!! Yea for Book it!

Erica said...

Oooh. We love that rainbow book!

annh said...

oh Bethany, I too, love to read, and do most of it in the middle of the night, when I can't sleep< right now, I am kind of into the Amish , and love the books by Bevely Lewis..when I feel overwhelmed , I can always get lost in a book...

Lacey said...

Haaa...I loved sweet vally high books!! My family all made fun of me because I would read for hours!!
And I do LOVE kids books. Being a former first grade teacher, my gameroom looks like a library. I drive Frank crazy because I am always finding a new book to buy. Just yesterday we picked up the newest Boyton book "Let's Dance Pookie." I am a sucker for getting books for my kids. But I figure there could be worse things to get addicted to. My kids love being read to, hopefully they too will love reading when they are older.